Monday, December 4, 2006

Hyper City


I just returned from my first trip to a new department store everyone's raving about called HyperCity. The pictures I'll post here say it all but all I can do is say I was impressed and as much as I wanted to dislike the store because it signals a huge change in the way Indians shop (including increased consumerism, putting small mom&pop stores out of business, etc.) , I came to the conclusion that it was needed in Bombay. What's great is that you feel like you're in any developed country's sprawling grocery/home/appliance store where there's room to maneuver carts, everything's high quality but reasonably priced, and you can find almost anything you need under one roof. Although I hope Bombay doesn't lose all its 'bania' shops or small stores where you ask for what you need and have personal contact with your local shop owner, it's nice to have the option of visiting a HyperCity...

No comments: